Tuesday 7 May 2013

Chris' First 400km in the Tiderace Pace 17



Chris is an Illawarra paddler who came up to Sydney to meet me for a test paddle a couple of months back. He was interested in the two Pace models, so we went out from Port Hacking & around to Cronulla, swapping over boats & giving them boat a good workout. The day was one of my favourite all time paddles out around my now local waters in Southern Sydney, and I wrote a brief blog with a video HERE. Besides the perfect weather there was also the spectacle of the shipwrecked trawler stuck on the rocks at Cronulla Point.
Chris penned this lovely short review of the boat and emailed it over earlier in the week:


"After trial paddling both the Tiderace Pace 18 and Pace Tour 17, I decided that the 17 was the kayak with the characteristics I was looking for.

I discovered kayaking in 2003 at the age of 51 and have paddled mostly sea kayaks since then (the Pace 17 is my 7th kayak and I also paddle a Mega surf kayak). 

Recently having paddled a much loved 5.80m fast stable touring kayak  I was looking for a lighter, faster and more nimble, but still genuine touring sea kayak. 

Since purchasing the Tiderace Pace Tour 17 (late Feb. 2013), I've now paddled it (GPS readings) almost 400 klms. and in all conditions possibly encountered by most regular ocean paddlers (including some days when I  probably shouldn't have ventured out). 

I've loaded it with 40kg. of touring equipment and food for a three day trip and paddled in and out through 1.5 m surf . Its fast (10.5 kph. flat water), stable, rolls, surfs and turns easily responding readily to paddle commands.
In short for two months I've given this boat an absolute caning and can report that its a pleasure to paddle and fulfils everything I want in a touring sea kayak.

I would readily recommend this kayak to sea kayakers with moderate to advanced skills who are looking for a fast and responsive genuine touring sea kayak.

In addition, I purchased the Tiderace Pace Tour 17 from Expedition Kayaks at Marrickville in Sydney and must say that the purchasing process was possibly the most helpful and informative that I've ever encountered. 

This is what should happen when good kayakers sell good kayaks and equipment. Highly recommended. Thanks again Expedition Kayaks."

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Velocimiser Sea Kayak Foil Rudder

After two solid years of R&D, we can finally announce a series of successful sea trials of our new foiling sea kayak rudder, The Velocim...